The Cooperative AI Foundation (CAIF, pronounced “safe”) is a new charitable entity whose mission is to support research that will improve the cooperative intelligence of advanced AI for the benefit of all. This mission is driven by our belief that many of the most important problems facing humanity – climate change, nuclear war, and pandemic preparedness, to name but a few – are problems of cooperation, and that AI will be increasingly important when it comes to solving (or exacerbating) such problems.
With an initial endowment of $15 million from the Center for Emerging Risk Research, our ambition is to build the nascent field of Cooperative AI, improving the ability of AI systems to engender cooperation between humans, machines, and institutions. A more detailed introduction to this field can be found in our recent Nature piece and paper on open problems in Cooperative AI.
The “benefit of all” sits at the heart of everything we do. We are relentless in our ambition to have the greatest possible positive impact, both supporting and trusting our staff (and our external partners) to perform at their best. We strive to learn from our failures, through a culture of curiosity, openness, and compassion, alongside evidence-based reasoning and rigorous evaluation. With a diversity of perspectives and values forming the core of any cooperation problem, we must also practise what we preach: maintaining plurality, equity, and inclusiveness in all that we do.
We’re looking for a People & Operations Manager to become the COO’s right hand person at CAIF. This is CAIF’s first full year of operation, and you’ll be the first full-time People & Operations hire. This means it’s a varied and exciting challenge for someone with a diverse skill-set and lots of energy and ideas! You’ll take ownership of our recruitment processes and structure how we use internal tools. You’ll be the person who spends the most time thinking about employee experience, and never stop improving it. You’ll jump into our highest priority projects, lending your skills wherever possible, to help supercharge what CAIF can achieve.
In your first 6-12 months, you’ll:
- Run hiring rounds including including reviewing applications, outbound sourcing, phone screens, communicating with candidates and proposing improvements to the overall process and ATS to ensure effectiveness, fairness and efficiency;
- Provide documentation and carry out ‘housekeeping’ on other organisational systems (Slack, GDrive, 1Password, HRIS) to enable team engagement, productivity and security;
- Run and optimise our onboarding process to be legally compliant, consistent, and a great experience for new joiners and the rest of the team;
- Organise team socials and support with other events (in particular, an inaugural Cooperative AI summit).
Expected future responsibilities:
- Administrate (and support with the improvement of) other HR tasks, such as performance reviews, benefits, offboarding;
- Manage contractors and other third parties e.g. payroll, legal, IT, insurance, offices we have access to;
- Support the COO and ED with other activities e.g. tracking organisational KPIs, developing our employer branding, building out a CRM.